Monday, February 7, 2011

Aw yeah...

For the first time in ten years I was recently childless for a few days. I envisioned myself rising with the sun every day to  lace up my dusty Brooks for good jog, or at the very least a fast walk. Day one I did just that... almost. I had no excuses. I didn't have to stay up late for much needed me time, I wasn't exhausted chasing after children... I stepped outside only to find out what 20 something degrees feels like and stepped right back into the toasty near 70 deg house I was staying in. I know... I'm a complete wuss when it comes to the cold, something for sure I will have to get used to by next year no doubt. Aside from the odd errands that took a total of 3 hours over three days, I did absolutely nothing, and it felt awesome.

I am happy to report that I write now after just returning from a very brisk walk. I would say jog but who am I kidding. I'm starting slow. Baby steps. My cousin reminded me today of this couch to 5K article she had from awhile back. Just 20 minutes a day, three days a week and all you need is a decent pair of running shoes (and a good bra). Although I didn't do the complete 90/60 intervals (my watch isn't night friendly), I did speedwalk it (another benefit of going at night-no worries of what you look like) for five minutes then alternated 90 secs of jogging and two minutes of speed dorkiness, to finish the last block at an easy pace. And let me tell you, I feel awesome. I feel as though a friend long gone has turned up again in the way my quads and upper arms feel.   But of course my inner overachiever is telling me it's not enough.

Today a St Pattys Day Dash advertisement caught my eye only because one of the beneficiaries of the event is the Seattle Childrens Autism Clinic.  Having been personally on their 9 to 12 month wait list for my daughter, they do need funds to extend services and hire more health professionals.  In every book on ASD I've read so far, it is repeated over and over that early intervention is key for a good prognosis in developing communicative and sensory integration skills.  I assume that it's a half marathon but click anyway. Come to find out, it's only 4 miles. If I continue to do this 5 K training thing consistently, by February 21st, I'm going to register. If not, I wont beat myself up about it too much. But if I can, I'm going to find the most ridiculous green garb to wear (I'm thinking a 12 layer green tule tutu with sequins), perhaps get my other children to do the Leprechaun lap,  and maybe even print up a shirt with my daughters image on it for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. you got to totally do it! i want pictures of the tutu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was there to run with you guys! Keep training and we can do a 10K together in the summer.

    Here's a podcast for the Couch to 5k. The music is good and she doesn't talk or give annoying advice. It's just a Darth Vadery voice counting down between intervals.

    http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking I can find some green or ginger wigs:)

    ReplyDelete