Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thou Shalt Not Run on Sunday, Jack Mormons, and St Patricks Day garland.

As of this past Sunday, I did week one of the couch to 5K plan and I'm proud of myself. Although I ultimately didn't run on the days I wanted to, evenly spaced out and such, I "ran" three times nonetheless.  Proof that no matter how crazy life can become, you can fit 20 minutes in. I was able to rely on the healthy escape that is running when stress became to much this week, which I'm especially proud of.

When I was a teenager, I used drugs and alcohol for an easy escape from my life. I could lie and say I had a horrible family life as a teenager, was abused in some way or another. But it wasn't, and I wasn't. I can honestly say, I was just bored. Regardless, the patterns I developed and the habits I formed stuck with me for quite sometime. Although I turned to spirituality after my oldest was born and stayed sober for a very long time, the temptation for an easy escape from circumstances out of my control became too great. Did I ever go on benders? No. Did I sell my kids off or some priceless heirloom? Never. I can honestly say I've grown up greatly in that respect and have been responsible. However, bottom line, I turned to physically and spiritually unhealthy means of dealing with life when it seemed to be out of control.

It's been awhile since I've acted on such a need to escape but Sunday morning, after a very long Saturday night, I needed an escape more than ever so I ran. Some may say I'm being a complete Jack Mormon but honestly, number one, although hilarious to some I find that term very offensive. Number two, I only practice what I preach which is unlike many others who don't -generally speaking. Yes I could have persevered  to get all three children ready (I had to work that night-so hubby had to sleep,) bag packed, to make it to morning church, but I needed to escape. So I ran.  I needed to feel those endorphins cursing through my blood and felt so much better afterwards. I feel I'm a better person and mom for recognizing those times of need and acting on them in a more positive, healthy way which has become so much easier for me, something which I know my Father can understand.

Generally while I'm "running" I find myself unable to think of what's going on in my life and let my thoughts wander with whatever is pumping through my ipod. When Drunken Lullabys (haha) came on, I couldn't help but think about what my St Patty's Day fun run garb will look like. Yesterday I had to go to my local dollar store for a couple things and found this
 So far, I'll have the multi-layered tule skirt with sequined belt and I'll buy this garland to make a crown of sorts. Not sure what to do with my hair, I think a red (ginger) wig would be awesome, but I think for sure a pair of fairy wings, green argyle knee socks, and to give my dusty Brooks a good send off, I may spray paint them green. Am I going overboard? After seeing pictures from the last dash, I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment